Thursday, April 12, 2012

the look

I'm having my own special day. Those of you who know me might point out that every day is a special one for me. Yeah, yeah... you're right. But even more so, I'm in a goofy frame of sleep-deprived mind. Today there's one thing I'm keeping in mind so my tired mouth doesn't cause more trouble than it already has. I'm remembering something I'm learning through The Program: "There's a reason God gave me 1 mouth and 2 ears." I'm amending that to include "... and 2 eyes". Que The Look (girlfriends, wives, moms, aunties, teachers, and women in general know what I mean).

This morning Tim pointed out to me that he's tired. I offered The Look. He thought I was flirting and laughed, saying something to the effect of "are you busy right now?" Fail. Just remember, readers, that this is a guy who knocked me off my bike on a paved trail and made me bleed and limp, and he said, "I was trying to flirt!" I'd hate to see if he succeeded at it.

This morning I changed G's diaper. Adam was across the room (and although he can walk, crawling is a safer, faster way to go). He put his head down and charged across the room to us. He got up on one knee and held his hand over G's face and looked at me. I gave him The Look and he proceeded to pet G's hair and face in the "pet nice" fashion. Success.

I had my nephews here for a sleepover last week. Three-year-old Nolie is a spirited boy: he's passionate. He was pretty unhappy when nearly-one-year-old Adam took his toys and wouldn't share, so he gave Adam a shove with one hand while he held a car Adam stole with the other hand. Adam was un-phased but I had to address this. No words needed: I presented The Look. Nolie promptly pulled Adam back up, hugged him, kissed him, and said "dowwy" while he handed the car back. Nice. Nolan looked back and I gave him a wink and thumbs-up.

I am learning (and sometimes failing) to keep my mouth shut. I remind myself repeatedly every day to look and listen before I turn emotionally reactive (a term I learned from my sister through a book I read when I started teaching from a book series that I should get back into). Save yourself from an arguement and give the gift of The Look instead. Happy scowling.

I told you I was in "a mood". ;)


On a related note: I love Oreos. If you know me you know how that's related.

I'll quit typing now.

1 comment:

  1. The look almost always does better then verbal communication anyways!

    ReplyDelete